About Oslob, Cebu
Oslob, Cebu are famous because of the Whale Sharks.
At the South tip of the island of Cebu, Philippines lies Barangay Tan-awan in the town of Oslob. It may be just an ordinary community before but became very famous because of the arrival of the whale sharks referred by many as the “gentle giants”. They are locally called as “butanding” or “tuki”.
These whale sharks started coming to the beaches of barangay Tan-awan to find food. The residents fed them and these giants got used to the routine and keep coming back everyday. It eventually paved the way for tourism to rise in that area.
Today, many visitors from all over the country and even abroad come to Oslob to witness these beautiful creatures. Tourists find it so amazing to swim with very huge, yet harmless creatures.
How to get to Oslob, Cebu
There are many ways how to go to Oslob Cebu. We have listed a few guides on how you can go to this popular place in Cebu.
- Cebu Car Rental – You can book a car to reserve and make an advance notice for your arrival. It will be hustle free and you don’t need to spend more time waiting and asking for a car to bring you to Oslob, Cebu.
- Private Cars – If you know someone that can fetch you at the airport it will be better. Make sure they knew the details of your flight.
- Taxi – There are taxi’s available in the Airport with a little negotiation with the driver how much it will cost you. One way is about Php3,500-Php4,500.00 cost
- Travel Agencies – If you’re using travel agencies, all information can be arranged particularly for your airport pick up and transfers.
- Bus Transit – From the airport, ride a taxi cab going to the South Bus Terminal, which will cost you around Php350.00-Php450.00 depending on the traffic and pathway taken. Upon reaching the terminal, board a bus going to the South of Cebu specifically Bato. Tell the driver or “konduktor” (the person who collects the fare) to drop you off at Barangay Tan-awan, Oslob or you can also just look for the sign that says “Whale Shark Watching”.
- Buses bound to the South operates from 1:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. and dispatches every hour. The earliest bus to leave is the ordinary ones (non-aircon). The bus ride will take approximately 3-5 hours and the fare for the Ceres bus is P 155.00 for the aircon buses and P 148.00 for the non-aircon.
Hotels in Oslob
There are places to stay in Oslob and many of them are located in the center of Oslob around 12kms away from the Whaleshark Interaction. There are Hotels nearby the Whaleshark watching activity but you need to make a booking in advance to make a reservation. Check the available Oslob Hotels and book in advance.
Whale Watching Activity
Whale Watching activity is handled by the local government of Oslob and this activity will start at 6:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. depending on the weather condition.
Tips before you will engage with the Whaleshark
- Be early – Hotel or Guide will wake you up around 4:30 am or 5:00 am for you to go there early where your guide can buy a ticket for your whale shark activity. Sometimes this area gets crowded if you will be late and you need to be patiently be waiting for your turn.
- You need to take the Whaleshark watching orientation at the Briefing Center to be informed of what to do and what you should not do. Some of the orientation will give you the following rules and advice.
- Do not put any sunblock or sunscreen lotion to your body because it might endanger the Whaleshark for the chemicals. If you had used them already you can take a shower before doing the interaction.
- No touching of the Whaleshark
- Feeding of whale sharks by unauthorized personnel is not allowed
- Avoid splash when entering into the water.
- Do not chase the whale shark.
- Keep the 3 meters distance with the Whaleshark
- This is only a 30 minutes interaction.
- You are allowed to use the camera to take pictures and videos but avoid using flash.
- Guides and boatmen will assist you with your interaction.
How Much is Oslob Whaleshark Watching fees
Swimming with the Whaleshark or Interaction Fees
- Php500.00 ($10.00 USD) – For Local – Snorkeling with the Whale Sharks
- Php1,0000.00($20.00 USD) – For Foreigner – Snorkeling with the Whale Sharks
Whaleshark Watching on the Boat Fees
Whale watching only (guest will only stay on the boat) –
- Php300.00 ($6.00 USD) for the Local – Stay in the boat only but if you swim you need to pay the additional fee.
- Php 500.00 for the foreigners – Stay in the boat only but if you swim you need to pay the additional fee.
Other optional rental gears – Php550.00 ($11.00 USD) Underwater camera rental –
Guests Guide from Metro Cebu
Metro Cebu Guests Guide Tips to make sure you will be able to interact with the Whaleshark successfully.
Tip: If you want to be among the first watchers, make sure to leave Cebu City at around 3:00 or 3:30 a.m. That is the best time to travel because the roads are still clear and it is still traffic-free.
The whale watching is truly an incomparable experience so it is worth the pay and the effort. So pack your backpacks now and head to Oslob, Cebu and swim with the giants!
To experience this whale shark you can book a Cebu Oslob Tour and make a memorable moment with the friendly whale shark.