Moalboal is a peninsula in the southwestern part of the Cebu Island. It is a 4th municipal income class municipality that is part of the Cebu Province. It has a population of 31, 130 according to the 2015 census. It is located 89 kilometer from Cebu City, about 2 ½ hours on a bus ride.
Since Moalboal is a peninsula, its land area is almost entirely surrounded by water. The main industry in the flat lands is fishing while those who belong to the mountainous areas are engaged in farming.
Moalboal has already developed a tourism industry since the early 1970s. It was based on recreational diving and beautiful beaches. Tourists mostly stay at Panagsama Beach (Basdiot) and in White Beach (Basdaku). They are known for its long stretch of beauteous white sandy beaches. There are numerous resorts found on either beaches that offer budget-friendly accommodation. Most of the dive shops, bars, and restaurants though are found in Panagsama Beach.
The main tourist activity in Moalboal is recreational diving. It is considered to be exceptional according to Philippines standards, The waters are very rich with vast variety of marine life.
Pescador Island is part of the municipality of Moalboal and is located about 3 kilometers off its coast. It is the most eminent dive spot and is a very ideal place for scuba diving, snorkeling, and free diving. Numerous variety of magnificent fishes and corals can be seen in the area. Its crystal clear waters make it possible for anyone to see what’s underneath even just staying on the boat. Groups of different colored fishes will flock instantly when given food.
Another pride of Moalboal is the famous “Sardine Run”. Anyone would get the chance to dive, swim, or just simply watch the school of millions of sardines swimming synchronously in the deep waters.
Beautiful Coral Reef
Because of its richness in marine life, the municipal government of Moalboal initiated programs that will preserve its natural resources. Protected sanctuaries are made to prevent illegal fishing and avoid the destruction of the coral reefs. Their fish sanctuary has then become one of its attractions. It flaunts the diversity of marvelous corals and different kinds of vibrant fishes.
When visiting Cebu, Moalboal should be a part of each traveller’s bucket list. An experience in this place is truly an unforgettable one, an adventure never to be experienced in any part of the world.
These are the hotels and resorts in Moalboal
- Hotel Sisters Inn Cebu – Rates start from Php720.00
- Moalboal Tropics – Room rates start from Php800.00
- The Blue Abyss Dive Resort – Room rates start from Php1162.00
- Moalboal T Breeze Coastal Resort – Room rates start from Php1536.00
- Mayas Native Garden – Room rates start from Php1584.00
- Savedra Beach Bungalows – Room rates start from Php1858.00
- Quo Vadis Dive Resort – Room rates start from Php1968.00
- Asian Belgian Resort – Room rates start from Php2150.00
- Bonita Oasis Beach Resort – Room rates start from Php2200.00
- Marcosa Cottages Resort – Room rates start from Php2650.00
- The Blue Orchid Resort Moalboal – Room rates start from Php3152.00
- Ravenala Resort – Room rates start from Php3504.00
- Dolphin House Resort – Room rates for this resort is Php7,712
Other resorts in Moalboal
- Hale Manna Beach Resort and Coastal Gardens
- Turtle Bay Dive Resort
- Magic Island Dive Resort
- Barefoot White Beach Resort
- Tipolo Beach Resort
- Love’s Beach & Dive Resort
- Pacita’s Beach Resort
- Sea Turtle House Beach Resort
- Club Serena Resort
- Nido’s Garden Resort
- Sunshine Pension House
- Bamboo Inn Moalboal
- Quo Vadis Beach Resort Inc
- White Beach Oceanfront House
Moalboal Dive Centers
- Seaquest Dive Center
- Cebu Fun Divers
- Lion Dive Resort
- M.B. Ocean Blue Dive Center
There are many ways to reach Moalboal. We suggest 3 things you can do.
- Rent a Moalboal Pick and Drop car rental
- Bus ride in Cebu South Terminal
- Private Cars or Taxi
Activities in Moalboal is frequent for Moalboal and Pescador Island Tour.